If you’ve got asbestos in your home, there is a good chance you’ve wondered about DIY asbestos removal. In Queensland, you are allowed to remove a small amount of asbestos (under 10m2) without a license; however, doing it yourself comes with its own risks.
Unfortunately, there are some health risks involved with asbestos, and incorrect removal and moving of the product can cause issues. These health issues don’t present straight away but in many cases, 30 – 40 years down the track. The QBCC puts some of the biggest health risks as:
- lung cancer including mesothelioma
- asbestosis (lung scarring that impairs breathing)
- benign pleural diseases
Even the smallest amount of fibres can cause issues later on.
Risks of DIY Asbestos Removal
Some of the major risks involved in removing asbestos yourself include:
- Accidents including breaking the asbestos into pieces while dry, not transferring it correctly, not being aware of how fragile the ceiling or wall in your home is. There is also the possibility that you need to be working at heights, and if you have no experience doing this, you are putting yourself at risk of injury.
- Not using the right protective equipment. The right equipment isn’t cheap – it is heavy and it needs to fit correctly to protect you from the risks associated with asbestos. Not being aware of the procedures in working in PPE (personal protective equipment) can also put you at risk of illness, especially during summer.
- Incorrect removal techniques. Not sealing the area and not undertaking the right procedures to remove asbestos are some of the incorrect removal techniques we often see when homeowners DIY asbestos removal in their homes.
- Personal injuries. Asbestos is heavy – sometimes up to 50kg per sheet. Without the correct removal techniques and having assistance to remove asbestos sheeting, neck, shoulder, back, and muscle injuries are all very common.
Use a Professional for Asbestos Removal
One of the best ways to get your asbestos removed efficiently and safely is to use a professional asbestos removal company like the team here at Icon Asbestos Removal. Holding a class A license, we can remove any amount of asbestos from your home including walls, ceilings, fences, flooring, and roofs. Using a professional means you don’t need to worry about getting sick, researching the correct removal process or finding the correct PPE to undertake the task – we take care of it all.
If you have asbestos in your home that you need removing, contact Icon Asbestos Removal for an inspection and quote.